Dental X-rays and Digital Imaging for Dental Implant Procedure
Prior to the start of your dental implant treatment, your dental implant dentist will need to do an assessment with dental x-rays or digital imagings to
- Determine bone condition : if there is sufficient bone height and volume to place a dental implant
- Dental Implant positioning : area with which the dental implant post will be inserted into the jaw to support the final prosthese (crown, bridge or denture)
Before the start of all dental implant treatments, you will normally require some sort of imaging to be first done. Dental X-ray include:
Digitalized Panoramic X-rays
With today’s technology, do check that the dental clinic you choose uses a digitalized x-ray unit. Digitalized x-rays significantly reduces the amount of radiation exposure to patients as compared to conventional x-rays for increased patient safety. X-ray imaging is also instant with images appearing on-screen to your dentist within seconds for quicker diagnosis and results. Digital images can be enhanced in imaging software enabling treatment planning and image communications.
Panoramic x-rays a full mouth imaging of you’re upper and lower jaw. Your dental implant dentist can then assess bone condition (height) and positioning where the dental implant posts may be placed in.
- a complicated case with compromised bone condition or contra-indications
- full jaw or full mouth implant treatments
Your implant dental specialist may be able to obtain an oversight of your jaw bone and bone condition with panoramic x-rays. A CT Scan however provides a more complete picture and imaging of you’re jaw bone and provides additional confidence and level of safety during treatment planning.
A typical CT Scan will enable you to twist and view different angles of your taken imaging. This include slices of viewing from the top and sides. There are various versions of CT Scan machines, one of the most commonly used CT Scan imaging brands used world-wide is from Planemeca. If doing full mouth dental implant treatment, a full CT Scan will be requested. If doing only one tooth implant or implants within one area, half CT Scan may be opted.
Intra-oral (small x-rays) or pericipal x-rays takes a snapshot of a specific tooth or area of you’re jaw. Small x-rays may be taken in addition to a large panoramic x-ray film to gain additional insights and clarify of the area of dental implant treatment.
Implant Treatment Dental X-rays
In most circumstances, a large panoramic x-ray film is normally taken for dental implant treatments. X-rays are taken during implant treatment stages include :
- 1st stage Implant Post Surgery : Before and After placement X-rays
- 2nd stage Prostheses : Check to see intergration of 1st stage implant post
- Follow up : Re-check to see successful over integration of implants with prostheses
Contact Phuket Dental Clinic for dental imaging at affordable implant fees